Weight-Loss Tracker

Sunday, November 8, 2009

It's Bakin' Time

So, previous posts indicate that I've got somethin' baking in my oven.

Bread.

So, yesterday for breakfast I made whole-wheat biscuits. I used this recipe from AllRecipes, but used all whole-wheat flour and cut out the sugar. I also did 'drop biscuits' because I didn't feel like rolling anything out. They came out okay--they were crumbly and I'm pretty sure I know why. Firstly, I would probably add a little bit more baking power. Secondly, I didn't add the butter correctly so there wasn't an even distribution of fat. Overall though, they were yummers.

For dinner last night, I made whole-wheat pizza crust. I got the recipe here from Tammy's Recipes. I used all whole-wheat flour, cut out the sugar, and used olive oil for the oil. The crust was good--mine was really thick because I didn't have a rolling pin (oops!). However, the crust was "substantial" and soft at the same time, without being soggy. Definitely a keeper and really quick to make by hand! We topped ours with sauce, FF cheddar, spinach, and turkey pepperoni.

Yesterday we bought a bread maker. We (attempted) to make a loaf last night, but alas! It didn't happen. I guess I put the pan in the machine wrong, because nothing mixed correctly and so half-mixed bread was baked. Sad day. It did, however, smell delicious. This morning, we attempted Round 2. It worked! The bread was smelling yummy all morning, tempting me with its goodness. We made one of the whole-wheat recipes in the booklet it came with. There are others I want to try, though. However, for a first attempt--it was pretty good. It was SO DELICIOUS fresh and warm with butter on top. :) Although, unless you're good with a knife the slices will be quite thick. The machine would be good though for mixing dough in general. The one we bought was one of the lower-priced ones and it was positively rated.

Sadly, I didn't think to take pictures of any of my food.

2 comments:

  1. I am longing to use my bread maker but I have lost one of the paddles that mixes the bread. So Sad. I can smell your bread baking from here. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freshly baked bread does smell soooo good!

    ReplyDelete